We have been dedicated to quality education training for over a century.
We’ve provided students with superior career degree education programs for 112 years.
As we begin our 112th anniversary, we can assure you that our school’s commitment to excellence in education, and to the personal and professional development of each and every student, is as strong and unwavering today as it was in the spring of 1897 when Professor McCann began our first career training classes in Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania.
Our past is impressive. We began in 1897 at Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania, as a school of accountancy and secretarial training. Even then our mission was clearly stated; to provide the highest quality education in the field of business.
For over a century, we’ve offered in-depth classes and training courses that prepare students for successful careers.
McCann School of Business was founded by Louis C. McCann. His sons, Dwight and Charles entered the field and held administrative positions not only at the Mahanoy City School, but in branch schools later established. After the death of Dwight McCann in 1956, Mrs. Dorothy Houser began serving as director. In 1959, Mrs. Houser purchased the school in partnership with her husband, Harry D. Houser.
In 1970, McCann became fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Association of Independent Colleges and Schools of Washington, D.C. The education association, now known as Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as the national accrediting body for private business schools and colleges.
A change of ownership occurred in 1981 when the school was purchased by James and Elizabeth Noone. Mr. Noone was a leader in the field of private career education throughout Pennsylvania for many years. John E. Noone became President and Owner of the school in 1994. John Noone was a CPA with extensive experience in Corporate Finance, Accounting and Banking. He brought a strong, practical business training approach to the administration of the school.
1995 was an exciting year for McCann, as the school opened a new school branch in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, to provide a better service and quality of education to residents of southern Schuylkill County. In addition, we were extremely proud to announce the formation of an educational partnership and full articulation agreement with Alvernia College of Reading, Pennsylvania.
Today, McCann’s certification training prepares school students for the future.
The third campus of McCann commenced operation in September, 1998, in downtown Sunbury, Northumberland County. Situated in the heart of the school’s community's downtown, the school filled a need for quality business training in the county, and in the neighboring counties of Montour, Snyder, Union and Columbia, in the Greater Susquehanna Valley.
In August 2002, McCann Education centers, Inc. were purchased by Delta Educational Systems, Inc. Joseph Kennedy, President. Delta is headquartered in Virginia Beach, VA and owns schools in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana and Georgia.
In July 2005 we expanded our Mahanoy City operation by relocating the campus to its new home in Humboldt Industrial Park, in Hazleton, just over the Schuylkill County border.
Today, as in the past, McCann School of Business & Technology is a leader in education. The faculty, administration and staff are committed to the highest standards of instruction as originally established by Louis C. McCann. As we enter into our 112th year of excellence in education, our name - McCann School of Business & Technology - reflects the high-tech, cutting edge education received in all degree and diploma training programs.
In April 2008, the Scranton campus of McCann relocated to Dickson City, Lackawanna County.
In April 2009, the school opened a new branch in Allentown, Lehigh County and later that year, opened a new branch in Carlisle, PA.