Get Your Paralegal Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Monroe, Louisiana
Do you have a knack for spotting details? Are you interested in law? Can you see yourself in an exciting career in the legal system? If so, training to become a Paralegal could be a perfect fit for you.
At McCann School of Business & Technology in Monroe, Louisiana, we offer a Paralegal program. In this program you can earn an Associate of Occupational Studies degree in as little as 18 months. Enrolling at McCann is a sound investment in your future.
Like many students in Monroe, Bastrop, Ruston, Winnsboro, Calhoun, Farmerville and Rayville, you could receive a quality education and be in a new career in as little as 18 months.
What to Expect As You Earn a Paralegal Associate of Occupational Studies Degree
Our Paralegal program will train you to become an important member of the legal system. As a Paralegal, your abilities and knowledge will make you a valuable asset to lawyers and judges. Some of the classes in our Paralegal program include:
- Introduction to Legal Systems: This course provides an overview of the U.S. legal system. The course introduces and develops terminology and concepts related to the origins and history of U.S. law, substantive and procedural criminal and civil law, the courts and constitutional and legislative trends and developments in the law.
- Torts: This course addresses civil liability for the intentional and accidental physical and emotional harm to persons, property or reputation. Topics include intentional torts, negligence and strict liability. Defenses to torts are also identified and discussed, as well as special tort doctrines and immunities. The paralegal’s role in a torts case is also explored.
- Contract Law: An overview of the law of contracts, this course examines the formation performance and discharge of legally enforceable agreements at common law and under the Uniform Commercial Code. The Statute of Frauds, breach of contract and damages, third parties and defenses are explored, as well as the essentials of contract drafting.
Part of your Paralegal program will be to participate in an externship, which gives you hands-on training in a real-world work environment. Under the supervision of a professional, you’ll gain valuable experience working in your field. For more information on our externship course and courses offered, download our Course Catalog.
Your Career Opportunities with Paralegal and Legal Assistant Training
McCann’s Paralegal program will prepare you to enter the job market as soon as you graduate. You will enter the workforce with the confidence you need to find the job that fits your career goals. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 17% increase in demand for Paralegals by 2022*. You will be qualified for jobs like:
- Paralegal/Legal Assistant: With their knowledge and skills, Paralegals or Legal Assistants are part of the foundation of the American legal system. In this career, your ability to research and prepare reports will help attorneys win cases.
- Legal Secretary: Government agencies, law firms and businesses constantly rely on Legal Secretaries. Your knowledge of legalese will enable you to assist in important research and courtroom procedures.
- Title Examiner: As a Title Examiner, you’ll review complicated claims and help people get the assistance they need and deserve when life throws them a curveball.
Begin Taking Courses to Prepare you for your Career as a Paralegal Today!
If you’re ready to start a career working in the American justice system, you should start your Paralegal program as soon as possible. Once you earn your Associate of Occupational Studies degree, you’ll be on your way to the career that’s right for you. Call 866.865.8065 today to get started or click here to request more information.*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Paralegals and Legal Assistants, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/paralegals-and-legal-assistants.htm