History of McCann School of Business & Technology
McCann School of Business & Technology can trace its roots back to 1897 in Mahanoy City, PA. Founded by Louis McCann, the McCann School of Business & Technology began as a training school for accountancy and secretarial work. The school operated under Louis McCann and his two sons Dwight and Charles until Dwight passed away in 1956.
After Dwight McCann’s passing, Dorothy Houser began serving as director and in 1959 purchased the school in partnership with her husband, Harry D. Houser. Under their leadership, McCann School of Business became accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Association of Independent Colleges and Schools.
In 1981, James and Elizabeth Noone purchased the school from the Housers and McCann Education Centers, Inc. was formed. In 1995, the school opened an additional location in Pottsville, Pennsylvania to provide a better service and quality of education to residents of southern Schuykill County. A third campus of McCann commenced operations in September, 1998, in downtown Sunbury, Northumberland County.
From 1995 to 1998 McCann underwent several major changes. The Pottsville, PA campus opened in 1995, providing the residents of southern Schuylkill County with quality career education. The same year, McCann began a partnership and full articulation agreement with Alvernia College of Reading, Pennsylvania. In 1998, McCann opened a third campus in Sunbury, PA. This campus filled the need for quality business training in Northumberland, Montour, Snyder, Union and Columbia Counties.
In August 2002, McCann Educational Centers Inc. was acquired by the company now known as Delta Career Education Corporation headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The Scranton campus opened in 2003 and relocated to Dickson City, Lackawanna County, in 2008. The original Mahanoy City campus relocated to Hazleton in 2005, and in 2009 the school opened additional locations in Carlisle, Pennsylvania and Allentown, Pennsylvania.
In January 2018, STVT-AAI Education Inc. dba Ancora Education acquired the McCann Schools of Business & Technology in Lewisburg, PA, Allentown, PA, Monroe, LA, and Shreveport, LA. As part of the acquisition the schools became accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), as branch campuses of Platt College in Tulsa, OK.
Today, as in the past, McCann School of Business & Technology is a leader in education. The faculty, administration and staff are committed to the standards of instruction as originally established by Louis C. McCann.